by Jeffrey Carter
It’s Friday, August 21, 2009.
New students gathered for orientation today at Webster University. I spent my last full day in the office of ‘summer’ 2009. The quotes signify that a department chair never really gets a summer in the same way that faculty can.
In any event, enthusiasm for Fall 2009 is high. Examples:
- One of my long-serving faculty colleagues said to me at a banquet last evening, “I have a feeling this is going to be a really good year.”
- Students actually cheered today when I was introduced at the Leigh Gerdine College of Fine Arts student/parent meeting.
- Our new-student class is the largest we’ve ever had in the Department of Music.
- The Leigh Gerdine College of Fine Arts accounts for fully 1/4 of the new students at Webster this year.
- The final historical photos were mounted today on the freshly designed foyer walls in the Thompson Music Building.
Pianos are tuned. Faculty are primed. Staff is ready. Expectations are high. And off we go!